Tuesday, April 20, 2010

COMPANY SPOTLIGHT: "HOME" by jasmine



(look at that dress! she made it. isn't it lovely?)

As we were pacing around the basketball court outside of our small Christian school, Jasmine decided that she was going to plot out our futures. I was going to marry a surfer, she was going to marry a chef, and our other friend, Lexy would join the CIA. However arbitrary this was, we somehow held on so close to those predictions as though they really would happen one day (just because she said that they would). Of course, she was joking. This was nearly ten years ago and we have come so far since then.

Our perfect lives of Victorian houses, small towns, adventures around Dover somehow became overshadowed by college, relationships, and her big move to North Carolina. Without getting into much detail, Jasmine was the girl that other girls hated and boys loved until she lost her New England identity of a beauty queen with her move to the South. The former Miss Teen New Hampshire candidate went to North Carolina with the intention to live her life in the most genuine way possible.

And so she did. She traded her crown for a sewing kit and a pair of torn jeans.

She now has her own little clothing line called "HOME" (how perfect), to reflect all of the good times that we shared with our friends and family back in those small towns of New Hampshire. The line consists of beautiful summer dresses and shirts that remind me of Mod Cloth and Zooey Deschanel. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. I promise that she will be your new favorite designer.

C: What is your company's name and how did it start?
J: My company's name is called Home..and our little "catch phrase" is your heart, my home. Oh goodness it all started when my bf and I decided to make a baby blanket. After that I went on a sewing fever. I couldn't stop sewing so we eventually came up with the idea of opening our own little shop on Etsy. Home is a word that has a lot of meaning to me as well. It represents my home town Dover (603!), it also represent the feeling I get with my bf. Also, the song "Home" is wonderful. So all in all it started with a fever that grew and a great boyfriend to keep be inspired.

C: What inspires you to create these lovely designs?
J: Everything around me really! Also just anything feminine, floral, and just down right pretty. I go to the store and just pick out things I like and later come up with what they will become.

C: I know that you were once a candidate for Miss Teen NH and also modeled, but you've come so far along since then. Who are you now and what is some advice that you can give to girls to inspire natural beauty?
J: I feel as if now I have a better understanding of who I am and that is a creative person. I love designing and making things! I can't imagine not doing that now. I am also much more comfortable with who I am, less makeup and less messing with hair straighteners haha. My advice is less is more really, I know it may be over used but its so true! Keep the make up down the bare minimums. Your skin will feel so much better and so will you. Your natural features will shine through. Also with my line I try to make everything as comfortable as possible. Being beautiful shouldn't be painful. Who wants to wear a painful dress or shirt anyways? So softer fabrics, less suffocating zippers, and just plain old comfort. Be comfortable in who you are, thats really what makes a girl beautiful.

C: What do you value most in life and why?
J: Thats a tough one I'll list my top three. My wonderful family, I don't know what I'd do with out them. My dad is my hero and I wouldn't be where I am today with out him. Second, my amazing friends ( like you!) and boyfriend. They give me strength, smiles, and amazing times. Lastly, the little things. Such as warm sunshine, chocolate chip pancakes at midnight, and everything in between. I love my life, and I am so blessed.


Check out Jasmine's ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ohcupcakes